Thursday, September 13, 2012

Another "simple project", by Bodi

One of these days, I'll learn to accept that no project is ever "simple" with me.

I even know why that is so, too. I am a perfectionist. I'm even mildly OCD about things (I think "pefectionist" is, for many, simply a PC term for OCD).

There you go, I've confessed.

But back to the project; we have, in our bedroom, two pieces of furniture of a very similar style (read: nearly identical), from a similar era. One is a long dresser, complete with mirror. The other is what is what I think is known as a "tallboy" chest of drawers. They are not the same colour (both are stained, not painted), but the colours are complementary.

One came from my family (my parents' first bedroom suite), the other has always belonged to Himself. Even the hardware is identical or complementary. I'm guessing this stuff was THE look in Canadian furniture in the 1970's, as I know my brother also had a tallboy chest of drawers, and we have another, smaller, one for Sir Squeaks, too (from my IL's).

I must confess that, while I never thought the pieces were particularly beautiful as a child, as an adult, they have a certain nostalgic feel to them that makes me really like them.

But the problem is that the tallboy is missing some drawer knobs, and some of the drawer pulls are broken. At first, my intention was to simply replace all the knobs and pulls with new ones, to unify the look of the different pieces. Heck, while I'm at it, I have a nightstand with nine knobs- if I put matching knobs on it, the piece would tie in fairly well with the others, in spite of it not being the same. Such is the joy of hardware; it can work magic.

But, of course, none of the drawer pulls are the same size ("Standardized sizing?" They scoffed, "Who needs that?!"), but modern ones are ...

So, yesterday I happened to be near one of my favourite places to find antique or vintage items (The Old House Revival) and I popped in.

Wouldn't you know it, they happened to have 11 knobs that were the same as the existing ones?  Now I only need three more ... Still working on the drawer pulls, but we'll get there, I'm sure.

Photos to follow...

"Simple" project #2:

I decided it was high time I printed some of the 10 000 digital photos I have taken over the past ten years.

Wow, the things you can do now ... oh, and you can order them from at-home, too. It's like setting a kid loose in a toy store, and saying "pick whatever you want", except, you know, unlike the kid, you have to pay at the end of it ...

So I may have gone a little overboard with the print ordering.

And then, I got the brilliant idea to get larger copies of some of the photos, and frame them to hang on the wall.

Like a giant photo-collage. This idea was not entirely new, although it had really been in its infancy until more recently. Initially, I was going to have all the frames identical to each other. But the frames I had already chosen, while simple, are not inexpensive when you're looking at buying 15 to 20 of them. At once.

And so now there will be some variations in the frames.

Getting the photos printed is nothing. Getting them framed is a bit more of a deal. Figuring out how they will best be arranged on the wall? Now, that's a Project.

Nevermind actually getting them, you know, *on* the wall ...

If I waited for the photos for this project, this blog would never get published.

No comments:

Post a Comment