Saturday, March 23, 2013

Earth Hour, coping with change and other assorted thoughts

This evening we will celebrate "Earth Hour". I don't want to get preachy on the subject, but I think it's fair to say that participating in the event is a way of showing love for our planet, so it *is* topical.

In previous years, at our house, we have turned off the lights, unplugged the TV and the rest of the equipment attached to it, and the computer. We usually light candles, and then play a board game or two. It's fun, and the kids really get into it (at least, those who are at home). We don't rush to turn everything back on again afterwards, either- the candles are kind of fun! And let's be honest, when we're playing a game together, we're much more connected than when we're watching a film together (much as we love doing that, too!).

This year, however, I will be out at the time of Earth Hour. I'll be spending time with some wonderful people, and the lights may very well go off there, too, but I have to admit, I'm sad to be missing that time with my boys (Miss Tigger will be at work).

Coping with Change:

Recently, Boo learned that one of his best friends would be moving away. He seemed to be handling it fairly well, too. But when he came home from school yesterday, he started crying inconsolably; yesterday was their last day at school together. It broke my heart to see him so sad. Her Mom and I have already made arrangements to help them stay in touch and keep their friendship going, but it will be challenging, I'm sure.

In other news- It is Springtime, but apparently she didn't get the memo:


 

 
 
This photograph was taken on March 20th, the first day of Spring. Yes, the snow really does go right to the top of our front steps. And yes, the Hound of the Baskervilles*really* wanted to go and jump in it. She loves the snow!


It was so very kind of Spring's older brother, Winter, to offer to cover her shift until she gets here ...


No comments:

Post a Comment